The ways in which libraries transform are as nuanced and varied as the people they serve. Physical transformations are easy to spot. Transformations in service and scope can be less apparent, but are ever changing. So why are libraries transforming?
Libraries strengthen local economies.
- 73% of public libraries assist patrons with job applications and interviewing skills;
- 68% help patrons use databases to find career openings;
- 48% provide access to and assist entrepreneurs with online business information resources;
- More than 36% offer work space for mobile workers.
Libraries create healthier communities.
- 77% of public libraries offer online health resources;
- 59% provide programs on finding health insurance.
Libraries are the place for lifelong learning.
- Public libraries offer 4.3 million programs per year;
- 95% provide online homework assistance;
- 95% offer summer reading programs for children.Library access equals opportunity.
- 100% of public libraries offer access to the Internet;
- 90% help patrons with basic Internet skills;
- 97% help people complete online government forms.
From: " Quotable Facts 2017." ala.org, American Library Association, www.ala.org/offices/sites/ala.org.offices/files/content/quotable%20facts.2017.downloadable.pdf. Accessed 31 Jan. 2017.