Basic Steps to a Successful Virtual Reference Transaction
Wren Spengler, OCLC
1. Send hello message.
2. Read what the patron wrote.
3. Scroll through the "Patron Info" tab.
4. Click "Policies" link to open the Policy Page.
5. Ask the patron a question.
6. Send a resource (or paste specific information from Policy Page).
7. Ask the patron if the information is useful.
8. Repeat steps 5-7 until the patron is satisfied, or choose a follow up option.
9. Send a goodbye message.
10. Close session using the appropriate resolution code.
24/7 Reference Cooperative Policies and Procedures
Chatting librarians should be willing to follow these steps and policies for ensuring a high-quality reference transaction.